Thursday, October 16, 2008

Running in Circles

I ran the track at the gym today for the first time in years, which wasn't nearly as fun as running outside. Not only that, but it was really hot in there making my run a lot harder. My legs are definitely feeling it! Two positives about my run today:
-While I kept getting lapped by people that were running really fast, they weren't running for nearly as long as I was. That made me feel a lot better about my slow pace.
-I ran 35 minutes without a break! While I have run for that long before, I usually have to take a break. Not this time!

Even with that, I keep thinking of all those those things that I have going against me with my new goal:
-I'm fairly short, so my strides aren't very long, thus I have to take more steps than taller people.
-I had pneumonia a couple years ago and my lungs have never been the same since then. Hopefully by the end of the journey my lungs will no longer be an issue.
-I have predominantly fast-twitch muscle fibers, which are the type that are better for sprinters and strength training. What I really need is long-twitch muscle fibers, the type found in long distance runners. Once again, I hope this training can help change my predominant muscle type.
-I really should lose some weight so I am carrying less on my runs.

I can't really think of anything I have going for me beside the fact that I am so stubborn and don't like to give up. If any body knows of any other positives please let me know, because I could really need them!

No comments: